Real Food Fridays
What are Real Food Fridays?
Do you ever think about how far the food you eat travels to you? Who grew it? Who picked it? How much it processing it’s been through before you take a bite?
They say you are what you eat, so why not be real? Slowing down and making the choice to eat food that is good for you, farmers, communities and the earth is exactly what is Real Food Fridays are all about. Be a part of making it happen! It all starts with you.
What is “Real Food”?
It can be hard to find food that fills all our hopes all the time for ‘real’ food. Don’t stress about it — a good start is anything that:
- supports fair farmworker wages,
- is free of genetically-engineered ingredients,
- has had little to no processing,
- supports local markets/vendors and isn’t transported long distances to get to my plate, and/or
- honors fair trade principles when I buy from other regions,
- and if you so choose to eat meat and dairy, that it comes from animals that are not raised on a factory farm but raised humanely and on real food themselves—not genetically engineered crops or other questionable feed, drugs, and antibiotics.
So go ahead, get down with your delicious self and enjoy!
On Real Food Fridays, I pledge to eat food that is REAL: sustainably and ethically raised from workers and food producers paid and treated fairly.
Make your pledge for Real Food Fridays and join the movement of Food MythBusters everywhere who are building real food communities. One plate at a time.
We’ll send out monthly recipes and tips on preparing real food and shout-outs to our Food MythBusters community across the country – and the world! – who are choosing real food.